A biomaterial for the reconstruction of bone defects must be biocompatible and have good handling and modeling properties; in specific clinical situations, it must also provide sufficient resistance to loading. Tecnoss laboratories are specialized in processing heterologous bony and collagenic tissues. OsteoBiol bone process, in particular, has been developed to modify but maintain the original collagen matrix of heterologous tissue, in order to preserve its positive biological functions, obtaining at the same time complete biocompatibility (1).
Most biomaterials are inert products that do not interfere, or rather, do not take part in the physiology of bone remodeling: since they have been developed according to the sole concept of biocompatibility, their function is limited only to preservation of the graft volume (scaffold).
Characteristics of Tecnoss Process
Tecnoss has developed treatment manufacturing processes of various animal species connective tissues, allowing us to obtain the biocompatibility of these tissues, preserving at the same time their collagen matrix. Collagen has a key role in bone regeneration process in that:
- It acts as a valid substrate for platelet activation and aggregation
- It serves to attract and differentiate the mesenchymal stem cells present in the bone marrow (1)
- It increases the proliferation rate of the osteoblasts up to 2/3 times (2)
- It stimulates the activation of the platelets, osteoblasts and osteoclasts in the tissue healing process
1) Salasznyk RM, et al. Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology (2004), 1: 24-34
2) Hsu FY, et al. Biomaterials (1999), 20: 1931-1936
The protein components of animal tissues are determinant to make every individual unique. They activate the cells of the immune system of the receiving organism by interacting with receptors of the Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC). Their neutralization/denaturation allows the mineral bone and collagen matrix to be transferred from animal to man without any dangerous adverse reaction outbreak.
Successful Guided Bone Regeneration (GBR) depends both on stimulation of tissues involved in new bone formation and on the characteristics of grafted biomaterials, which can determine the quality of bone/graft interface. The basic research for development of OsteoBiol product line has thus been driven by the ideal biomaterial concept: a material with the highest affinity to the new endogenous bone.
To pursue this aim, Tecnoss developed a biotechnology, able, by avoiding the high temperature ceramization phase, to preserve the structure of natural hydroxyapatite and therefore allow an osteoclastic-type remodeling of biomaterial, similar to physiological bone turnover time (2).
Thanks to this innovative technology, the OsteoBiol line has the following important characteristics:
- Absence of a foreign body response
- Gradual resorption over time
- Stimulation and acceleration of physiological tissue healing process
- Protection of the grafting site from infection (membranes)
- Capability of carrying medication to the surgical site
For further detailed information about the Osteobiol please see the documents made available for your reference.
For more information, please visit: OsteoBiol.com
Southern Implants Product Brochure
Innovative Treatment Solutions
Drop us a line anytime, and one of our customer service reps will respond to you as soon as possible.
South Africa - Head Office: 1 Albert Road, Irene, Centurion, RSA